Re: Totem setup ??

Amadeus W. M. wrote:
> That's mega BITS per second. If you use things like gkrellm that tell you
> the speed in BYTES then you need to divide by 8. So you should see
> something like 1000/8 = 125 kilo BYTES per second. You should believe your
> gkrellm or whatever system tool you're using.

You will also have certain amounts of overhead from PPP, IP, TCP and
whatever protocol your applications use over TCP/IP. And there may well
be other stuff using the connection (e-mail clients checking for new
mail, script-kiddies doing random scanning, Yum checking for updates, etc.)

I find that "divide by ten" is a better rule of thumb: one megabit per
second raw wire speed will give you *around* one hundred kilobytes per
second transfer speed, assuming that the megabit connection is the
bottleneck.

Hope this helps,

James.

--