Re: Rebuild computer with Intel DG965WH motherboard

Gordon Charrick wrote:
I decided it's time to rebuild my computer and replace the aging Asus motherboard and Matrox graphics card and old ATA drives.

I went to Fry's and picked out a motherboard that I hope will work with no problems. At least I have 15 days to return it. I also picked up a couple Maxtor SATA drives. I plan to use the onboard graphics and sound.

Doing some googling, I'm not quite sure how compatible all the hardware will be with FC6. It looks like there might be a problem with DVD drive.

Before I go through the time and hassle of taking apart my perfectly working computer to replace all the innards only to find I may have to get a different motherboard, I thought I'd ask the list for recommendations on current motherboards that can handle dual-core processors. Fry's has a dizzying array of motherboards in stock so picking one is no easy task when it comes to Linux.

I'm running on a Dual core Pentium system using the Intel 965 chipset and in a word it works however there are some limitations to be aware of which are being resolved.

My motherboard is an Intel DG965RYCK motherboard with 2Gb or RAM and a 2.8GHZ dual core processor.

Big issues I've found:

1) PATA (IDE?) interface is not recognized properly (SATA works perfectly however) a) use the kernel parameter "all-generic-ide" however I am not able to burn CD's with the setting
    b) use a usb cdrom drive
2) Video drivers that come in FC6 will not display video with programs such as mplayer - fix is to install the current drivers for the 965 video chipset from freedesktop.org - you'll have to compile them yourself 3) the 64 bit version of firefox will probably be a headache as plugins are 32 bits - choices are:
   a) run the 32 bit version of firefox
b) use the 64 bit version of firefox and use nspluginwrapper which will work with many of the plugins

Hope this is of use...

Jeff