Re: VDQ FC6 : GUI for permissions??

Beartooth wrote:
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:13:58 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Beartooth wrote:
To make space, I want to move a couple of old backup
 files, preferably as user btth rather than as root.
I want to move them from /home/btth to /opt -- and I'd
 rather use the FC6 GUI method (in conjunction with the new Disk
 Usage Analyzer in the FC6 Gnome GUI).
[...]
You might want to look at Midnight Commander (mc). It is a curses
based CLI tool, so you will have to run it in a terminal window. The
nice thing about it is that you can highlight a file, directory, or
a group of them, and change permissions using check boxes for the
permissions you want. (Ctrl-X c or F9 --> File --> cHmod )

Wow! I installed it -- thanks to all who advised me! -- and I can see that
this is a powerful tool indeed, and what's more a very interesting one.
Many thanks!

I know there are GUI tools that will do the same thing. But MC is
nice because you can use it from the CLI as well. It will also work
with a mouse.

I opened it from a tab su'd to root, and it let me change /opt to give
write permission to "others." After that, what I had tried before worked
beautifully. Thanks again!

One question: suppose I had needed (as I prefer in general) to give
permission only to one user, instead of "others," which sounds like it
means *all* others. Is there a way to do that from mc??

That's what groups are for. If you have files that are to be shared, everyone sharing them is put in the same group and the files are give rwx (or whatever) permissions for that group.

--
--R
/Linux, and Open Software, an alternative./