Re: amandas group membership in FC6?

On Saturday 25 November 2006 22:29, Frank Smith wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Perhaps something changed the amanda user's primary group in
>>> /etc/passwd?  When new files are created, the user/group set are
>>> the ones in passwd, and /etc/group is only consulted by the system
>>> if the user is not the owner of the directory, then it checks if it
>>> is in the same group (assuming you have group write perms).
>
>So what group does amanda have in /etc/passwd (the number in the fourth
>field)?

It was originally the same as amanda, 501::501 but I've edited that to
501::6 now.  I've also SGID'd the amanda home dir.  It ran alright this
morning I believe.  But the real answer will be when Jean-Louis releases
the next snapshot.

>See what that number maps to in /etc/group.  I'm betting it
>goes to an 'amanda' group and not the 'disk' group.

There was not, and still is not, a group named amanda, just the amanda
entry in the disk line.

>It's also possible
>that you have two amanda lines in your passwd file, or two groups in
>/etc/group that map to the same number (or the same group name in twice
>with two different numbers).  In those cases the first match is what
>the system uses, but it can certainly be confusing to debug if you
>don't notice the other one.

Nope, just one.

>   Your system is finding an amanda group for the amanda user somewhere,
>it's just a mater of finding out where it is getting it from.  I would
>suggest looking into whether you might have compiled it in, but I know
>you always use your same build script, so I'll just mention it as a
>possibility for future readers of the archives.
>
>>> Another possibility is that you are forcing the group amanda runs as
>>> in xinetd to be 'amanda' and not 'disk'.
>>
>> I hadn't thought of that, but the amanda file in the xinetd.d dir is
>> the same one I used for FC2:
>>
>> # default = off
>> #
>> # This is the list of daemons & such it needs
>> service amanda
>> {
>> 	only_from	= coyote.coyote.den # gene.coyote.den
>> 	disable		= no
>> 	socket_type	= dgram
>> 	protocol	= udp
>> 	wait		= yes
>> 	user		= amanda
>> 	group		= disk
>> 	groups		= yes
>> 	server		= /usr/local/libexec/amandad
>> 	server_args	= -auth=bsd amdump amindexd amidxtaped
>> }
>> service amandaidx
>> {
>> 	disable	= no
>>         socket_type     = stream
>>         protocol        = tcp
>>         wait            = no
>>         user            = amanda
>>         group           = disk
>>         groups          = yes
>>         server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
>> }
>> service amidxtape
>> {
>> 	disable	= no
>>         socket_type     = stream
>>         protocol        = tcp
>>         wait            = no
>>         user            = amanda
>>         group           = disk
>>         groups          = yes
>>         server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
>> }
>>
>> According to the amanda coders, this is correct usage.  Is it not now?
>
>That looks correct to me, so I'd look more into the passwd/group
>files mentioned above.
>
>Frank

Thanks Frank.  We'll see if its fixed in due time I guess.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)