amandas group membership in FC6?

Greetings;

Despite the fact that the user 'amanda' is a member of the group 'disk',
all compilations and new files generated by the user amanda seem to be
owned by amanda:amanda instead of the expected amanda:disk.

The end result is that many of my backup operations are failing because
the amanda utility doesn't have perms to delete or write to files
actually owned by amanda:disk.

I just went thru all the directory trees amanda needs to access and
chowned everything back the way its supposed to be, but then I built the
20061124 tarball just now, and everything is still owned by

amanda:amanda.

>From my  /etc/group file:
disk:x:6:root,amanda

So I blew it away, called up KUsr and verified that amanda was indeed a
member of the group disk.  Even deleted the user and re-added it and made
sure this new copy of amanda was a member of the group disk.

Then as "amanda", I unpacked it again and rebuilt it, but I still have the
same problem.  Because none of the files are owned by amanda:disk, the
end result is several megs of dead, can't do a thing code that I'd just
as well not bother with the 'make install'.

Anything that amanda has touched over the last 4 days since I started
running it again has been converted to being owned by amanda:amanda, and
if the file existed, and was to be deleted as part of the housekeeping,
was not because the old file was owned by amanda:disk.  So my backups are
being slowly trashed because the indice files are not updatable.

Whats the deal with FC6 and its owner:group handling?  Am I setting up the
user wrong or what?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)