Re: Switching from fc6xen kernel to plain old kernel

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 13:45:49 -0600,
  Whil Hentzen <linuxnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From the command line login as root, type the following to remove the
> xen kernel
>   rpm -e Kernel-xen-2.6.18-1.nnnn.fc6
> Reboot
>
> My questions are (I don't want to try this blindly)
>
> 1. If I remove the xen kernel, won't I be left with NO kernel? :( Or
> does removing the xen kernel somehow magically revert to the non-xen
> kernel?

You want to install the 686 kernel first. If you do an install instead
of an update, the xen kernels will still be there. The install will
add an entry in grub for you so that you can change which kernel you boot
from. After you are happy with the 686 kernel then you can remove the
xen kernels if you want.

> 2. I've seen two choices for installed in the kernel-devel:
>    "rpm -e kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6"
>    or
>    "yum install kernel-devel"

Presumably you meant -i, not -e. You can install kernel-devel at the same
time or after you install the matching kernel package.