Re: Problem with Samsung SyncMaster215tw

Jim Patterson wrote:
gary wrote:

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 03:40 -0600, Jim Patterson wrote:
I have been trying to get the screen to X window to fit with my screen, but have not had any luck when using Fedora 6. I works fine with RHEL 4 but after installation of F6 I haven't been able to get the screen to match up. I have played around some with the H-sync and V-sync but have not been able to find one where I can see the tray at the bottom. This is a 1680x1050 resolution screen, but the best I can get is 1440x900 which still has the problem with the vertical being too large.

I also have been having trouble with the mouse disappearing when I try different resolutions.

My xorg.conf file
-------------------------------
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier     "single head configuration"
       Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier  "Keyboard0"
       Driver      "kbd"
       Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
       Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier  "Mouse0"
       Driver      "mouse"
       Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
       Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
       Option      "XaxisMapping" "4 5"
       Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

       Identifier   "Monitor0"
       ModelName    "SyncMaster 215TW"
       DisplaySize  450        280
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
       HorizSync    30.0 - 80.0
       VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
       Option      "dpms"
EndSection
Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Videocard0"
       Driver      "nv"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier "Screen0"
       Device     "Videocard0"
       Monitor    "Monitor0"
       DefaultDepth     24
       SubSection "Display"
               Viewport   0 0
               Depth     24
Modes "1280x800" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" *********** "640x480"
       EndSubSection
EndSection

    Try adding -  "1680x1050" - to Modes   -----gary

I've tried that and it doesn't help. I've also noticed that whenever I logout and then log back in I lose my mouse. I mean it is still there, I can mouse over stuff and see a response, but I can't see the pointer.

I would start my debugging by looking closely through the Xorg
log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log).

One thing I've done before is comment out the Modes line in xorg.conf, logout to restart X, then look in the aforementioned log file.

It should somewhere in there report what modes it thinks are
supported by your monitor, along with lots of other good info
including values you might need to craft a custom Modeline.

--Kenny