Re: Desktop effects really slow

On 11/25/06, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I upgraded my Dell D800 from a FC5 to FC6 (fresh install).  There were a
few problems, but I was expecting them, so the install/initial configure
wasn't too bad.

Anyway, thought I'd give the fancy AIGLX stuff a try, so I enabled the
Desktop Effects.  Looks like it worked, but compiz is damn slow.  My
laptop isn't brand spanking new, but the specs aren't too bad:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz
RAM: 1GB
Video: GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go AGP, 32MB

Is my laptop just too wimpy, or is something else wrong?

FYI: I tried out XGL or AIGLX or whatever in FC4, and back then
performance was okay.  The desktop was usable, even with the 3D effects
enabled.  I must be missing something.

Regards,

Ranbir

--

You are going to have to use the manufacturer's binary drivers for
your video card to get the 3D acceleration needed to make thing fast.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud