Re: dyndns and the last hop - trying to set up ssh access to a machine on my LAN

On 11/25/06, Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My scenario:
I'm on Verizon DSL using a Westell DSL modem which is configured in 'bridge'
mode
Behind that is a Linksys WRT54G which is getting a dynamically assigned IP
address from Verizon
Behind the Linksys is my home LAN

I want to have ssh access to my Linux box from the outside

I went to dyndns and set up an account, and that seems to be working
If I ping the address I gave myself, it resolves to the correct IP address
which is the dynamic IP assigned to my Linksys router. I discovered the ddns
feature in the Linksys configuration and set that up - it successfully
contacted dyndns and dynamically updated my correct IP address.

Now, I'm stuck. How to get that last hop from my Linksys to my machine inside?

Presumably, there's some setting in the Linksys to allow SSH, and then, I have
to somehow route requests for SSH to my local machine. Can someone help me on
this? I noticed  when setting up my host in dyndns that there was a wildcard
setting, so I could set up a host, say 'claudejones.dyndns.org' and then, if
wildcars were allowed, then 'computer1.claudejones.dns.org' could be
resolved. Is this part of the puzzle? Do I use my computer name in front of
the host name I set up, and allow wildcards in the dyndns configuration? Or
is this all wrong?
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

You are going to have to forward a port (say port 22) to port 22 on
the machine you'd like to login in to. You may want to _not_ use port
22 on the router if you have a choice.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud