Re: Metrics and your privacy

On Thursday 23 November 2006 15:42, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On 11/23/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Mike McGrath wrote:
> > > So we're looking for better ways to find out exactly who is out
> > > there and what Fedora is being used for.  I've been compiling
> > > thoughts and ideas on a metrics site.  Please take a look and
> > > comment.  What are you, the community, most comfortable with?
> > > Where's the line where you'd check the check box to not
> > > participate?
> > >
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Metrics
> >
> > I wouldn't give out any of it.
>
> You're call, thats whats great about this open source stuff.  As far
> as support goes though, you're only hurting yourself.  Especially if
> you have odd hardware.  I mean its not like we're gathuring this
> information to kill your kittens.  We're trying to figure out who uses
> our stuff and for what purpose so we can focus better on that.
>
>                -Mike

Well I wouldn't mind something at the end of firstboot. But the user
should be told exacty what's being sent and have the choice to disable
it.

Still have the problem though of local mirrors. I maintain a local mirror
of fedora and install it on several hundred desktops twice a year. These
have private IP addresses and no access to the internet.

Regards,
Tony
--

Tony Molloy.