XPCOM programming on FC5

(I'm asking here because the problem, while widespread,
seems to be dependent on the particular platform)

I'm trying to follow this tutorial to create a C++
XPCOM component:
http://www.iosart.com/firefox/xpcom/

I've managed to build and install it, but I'm running into:
Type error: Components.classes[cid] has no properties

When trying to use the component in Firefox.
So: has anyone here successfully built an XPCOM C++
component using mozilla-devel on FC5 for Firefox?
Has anyone followed this tutorial before?
Does anyone know why it might be refusing to register?
(The sample component was showing up in xpti.dat,
but not compreg.dat, now it's showing up in either
and I'm not sure what I changed).

--
imalone