Re: Metrics and your privacy

Mike McGrath:
>> I think you guys are focusing too much on semantics.  Yum, updates,
>> checking for updates, caching, blah.  What we're talking about is a
>> phone home mechanism that can easily be disabled at install time.

Andy Green:
> Capturing that information by the existing traffic with Fedora mirrors
> is a neat solution that gives you ongoing stats using information that
> all users of the mirrors are content to let out already.

I would have thought that how much use the mirrors get is more valuable
information.  That lets you know how much people want the updates (they
bother, or don't bother to update), and how much resources you,
therefore, need to pour into providing the service.

There isn't going to be any way that you could know how many
installations were made.  That sort of statistical analysis is always
going to be significantly wrong.

I read messages from the public lists.