Re: FC6 Can't Find Network Card During Install

Andy Schlei writes:

I am performing a clean install of FC6 on a P3 850 SMP box. I am trying to install using HTTP.

After booting from the rescue disk, I go to select HTTP installation and I receive the following error message:
No Driver Found
Unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation type.
Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver disk?

My NIC is an Intel 82557/8/9 Ethernet Pro 100

There's this amazing gadget called "Google" that comes in very handy, at times like these. The very first link that comes up when you Google for "intel 82557 ethernet pro linux" indicates that this chip is supported by the e100 module, which should've been autodetected automatically.

I even bought a new Belkin 10/100/1000 NIC and have the same problem.

That strongly suggests that you have some other problem with this hardware.

Go ahead and start an install. At the point where you're asked to select which packages to install, use CTRL-ALT-F2 (or F3, I don't remember) and you should have a shell on the alternate VT. Try running "lspci -v" to see what PCI cards are visible to the kernel. I do not recall if lspci command is built into the anaconda install image, but it should only take a few minutes to try this.