Re: FC6 - rpm --verifydb reveals problem

Tony Nelson wrote:
At 7:04 AM -0500 11/20/06, Jim Cornette wrote:

Rebooting removes such lock files already.  The ones you removed are fresh
ones, hopefully not still in use.

Originally, I only removed the files before rebooting to attempt to follow-up with running rpm --rebuilddb. The process did not change for a very long time. I rebooted after the process never progressed for at least an hour.

It is best to do such things in Single
User mode (runlevel 1), so there isn't something else trying to use RPM.

Agreed! I usually update the system after crashes in yum or rpm in runlevel 1.

I suspect that the files are created by yum-updatesd or pup and that they're "working on it".

I'm surprised that --rebuilddb worked.  Maybe it only worked up to the
point in Packages that has the error.  Your RPM database may be incomplete.
You could compare it to before by looking at /var/log/rpmpkgs* files.

I'm in development version now. I'll compare the output between rpm and the logs you reference above once back in FC6. I compared the two in development and both matched up to each other. Of coarse the crash was in FC6, not devel.

The problem seems to be that once an error is encountered in the
database, you cannot run any instance of yum or any rpm instance with
options until you remove the /var/lib/rpm/__db.* files and reboot the
system. I believe the rebooting of the system either clears memory where
there is problems or at least clears the system from temporary files
which are causing the lock.

I have those files but I can still use yum and rpm.

I don't buy my statements above after reading through them either. The symptom that once a crash happens, nothing can be done with rpm or yum until a reboot is true though.

Thanks for the tips.

Jim

--
Support staff hung over, send aspirin and come back LATER.