Re: FC6 - rpm --verifydb reveals problem

At 7:04 AM -0500 11/20/06, Jim Cornette wrote:
>Tony Nelson wrote:
>> At 7:53 PM -0500 11/19/06, Jim Cornette wrote:
>>>: Database verification failed
>>
>> Well, your RPM database is pretty well hosed.  The --rebuilddb option fails
>> because it uses Packages, which is damaged.  This RHEL3 page
>> <http://people.redhat.com/berrange/notes/rpmrecovery.html> has suggestions
>> for what to try, such as dumping the Packages file and re-importing it
>> (some lossage will occur).
>
>I was able to reboot, remove the __db* files in /var/lib/rpm and
>follow-up with a successful rpm --rebuilddb which seemed to recover the
>database correctly.

Rebooting removes such lock files already.  The ones you removed are fresh
ones, hopefully not still in use.  It is best to do such things in Single
User mode (runlevel 1), so there isn't something else trying to use RPM.  I
suspect that the files are created by yum-updatesd or pup and that they're
"working on it".

I'm surprised that --rebuilddb worked.  Maybe it only worked up to the
point in Packages that has the error.  Your RPM database may be incomplete.
You could compare it to before by looking at /var/log/rpmpkgs* files.

>The problem seems to be that once an error is encountered in the
>database, you cannot run any instance of yum or any rpm instance with
>options until you remove the /var/lib/rpm/__db.* files and reboot the
>system. I believe the rebooting of the system either clears memory where
>there is problems or at least clears the system from temporary files
>which are causing the lock.

I have those files but I can still use yum and rpm.
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>