Re: Unable to install bind-chroot on FC6

Mike Cohler wrote:
Steven Stromer <filter <at> stevenstromer.com> writes:
Sorry to hijack, but I am experiencing the same problem. I have been installing FC6 on a bunch of servers, and did not elect to install BIND during the initial install. I installed bind-9.3.3rc3 (which appears to force the install of bind-chroot, without saying it will do so, though I do want the package...) and bind-libs. The service and directories seem to get installed and created, but none of the default configuration or zone files get installed. I've tried uninstalling, removing the directories, and reinstalling, and still the same result. Without named.conf, the service can not start. Installing caching-nameserver creates a caching-nameserver conf file and appropriate zone files, but I am trying to set up an authoritative name server. I could manually create all of the basic zones, etc. but this seems a bit more work than should be called for. I have configured DNS numerous times before on previous FC versions, so this isn't my first attempt at this process, but we all forget a step here or there over time Am I missing something here? Mark, have you found a solution?

Hi

I had the same problem.  I found that if I ran system-config-bind and let the
gui open - it will not find the right files - and will create an initial set. At
that point I close the gui and now named.conf has been created. If you then edit
named.conf to your needs and run:
service named restart
Then it will work (though it cannot stop named and I think service named start
might not work, though re-start does.

Also I found it is then better to yum remove caching-nameserver once bind
is running to avoid conflicts.

HTH

This worked very well. Thanks HTH! I would recommend for any others experiencing this problem to:

1. Install:
bind
bind-libs
bind-utils
system-config-bind

2. Run system-config-bind, and exit without creating any settings, which successfully creates the standard conf and zone files.

3. Install bind-chroot, which successfully creates the chroot directories, and all of the proper links.

I hope that the creation of default conf and zone files returns to a more automated process. This once was so much simpler!