Re: Upgrading to FC6

On Sun November 19 2006 8:46 pm, Lonnie Freeman wrote:
> Wow, what a change! (But not a good one!)
> Is there any way to go back to FC5?
>
> Problems: Upgraded from FC5 to FC6, using CD's.  The upgrade was REALLY
> SLOW! As in 5 hours!  Granted I am using a slower computer, but it is
> not that bad.  Intel 733, 384 meg of memory, worked good on FC5.
> Updates will not work...yum cannot find web site.  Checked yesterday
> and, yes, the web site was down.  That also means "remove software" will
> not work.  : (
> Java is changed, as in broken...
> Most of all, ctrl. alt. plus or minus will not change screen resolution
> now!  That has been a shining app for linux since the beginning!
> I can work from the command line but I prefer GUI.  Now things work in
> Gnome but are broke in KDE and vice versa, meaning I am always in the
> wrong GUI when I want to do something.  And it is strange things, like I
> can mount network files in Gnome, but not SMB4K???  What's up with that?
> Sound card works fine for system sounds, Amerock crashes.  Xine doesn't
> work now...
> Grrrr... Makes Ubuntu look palatable.  Maybe Suse?  I have been with Red
> Hat since v.7.2.  I will get the bugs worked out (will help a lot when I
> can update, and when I am not so frustrated with Sun about their java
> policies).  But this has not been a pleasant experience!  Anybody have
> ideas about how to fix the broken stuff that are easier than rip out and
> reinstall?

Well, I can't speak to your specific issues, but, I did use the DVD to upgrade
an FC5 to FC6 box. Had all sort of problems at first. One thing that hit me
in the head after a couple of days was that I hadn't updated all my repos.
Had to go through each one and change the version (I use smart, so that may
not apply to you). Once I did that, it pulled in a bunch of updates that
fixed almost everything. There are a few small issues remaining that I
haven't had time to fool with. My upgrade was equally tortuous, taking over 6
hours - this on a P4 2.8GHz w/ 1GB ram. All is well - give it a few days -
you'll probably get it sorted out. FWIW - I use KDE-redhat solely, and the
KDE-Redhat updates fixed all my desktop issues. I recall some issue with Xine
that came with the distro, that had to be fixed by a subsequent patch -
someone else with better memory might chime in on that. Otherwise, no
problems with sound.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA