Re: Upgrading to FC6

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 19:46 -0600, Lonnie Freeman wrote:
> Wow, what a change! (But not a good one!)
> Is there any way to go back to FC5?
>
> Problems: Upgraded from FC5 to FC6, using CD's.  The upgrade was REALLY
> SLOW! As in 5 hours!  Granted I am using a slower computer, but it is
> not that bad.  Intel 733, 384 meg of memory, worked good on FC5.
> Updates will not work...yum cannot find web site.  Checked yesterday
> and, yes, the web site was down.  That also means "remove software" will
> not work.  : (
> Java is changed, as in broken...
> Most of all, ctrl. alt. plus or minus will not change screen resolution
> now!  That has been a shining app for linux since the beginning!
> I can work from the command line but I prefer GUI.  Now things work in
> Gnome but are broke in KDE and vice versa, meaning I am always in the
> wrong GUI when I want to do something.  And it is strange things, like I
> can mount network files in Gnome, but not SMB4K???  What's up with that?
> Sound card works fine for system sounds, Amerock crashes.  Xine doesn't
> work now...
> Grrrr... Makes Ubuntu look palatable.  Maybe Suse?  I have been with Red
> Hat since v.7.2.  I will get the bugs worked out (will help a lot when I
> can update, and when I am not so frustrated with Sun about their java
> policies).  But this has not been a pleasant experience!  Anybody have
> ideas about how to fix the broken stuff that are easier than rip out and
> reinstall?
----
something I have learned to do when upgrading Fedora systems...

mv .kde .kde-bak
mv .gnome .gnome-bak
mv .gnome2 .gnome2-bak
mv .gconfd .gconfd-bak

Then new GNOME & KDE settings are created which seems to work right. By
moving them to '-bak' you can always bring the config/data for specific
apps back in.

the issue of not being able to update is probably hurting things like
amerok, xine. What does /etc/hosts look like?  Some people have been
better served by changing the first line from ::1 to 127.0.0.1
localhost.localdomain localhost

Craig