Re: kwallet vs kmail, will somebody please shoot one of them?

On Sunday 19 November 2006 15:42, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Sunday 19 November 2006 20:18, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >Permissions?  Look at ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet and its content.
>> >
>> >Anne
>>
>> Well, ~ for me is /root, so
>>
>> [root@coyote config]# ls -l ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet
>> total 8
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 60 Nov 17 09:13 kdewallet.kwl
>>
>> Is this supposed to be a text file?  It is not...
>
>No, it wouldn't be very secure if it was, would it? :-)
>
>You're confusing me, Gene.  Are you doing everything from a root login,
> rather than as Gene with su when necessary?
>
>Anne

I've worked that way since I installed RH5.1 the first time.  About the
only box I don't do that on is the kubuntu-6.06 box that runs my milling
machine.  I'm rather used to having the run of the place so to speak.

Recently, I've been distracted by playing with the x86 build of DD-WRT,
the swiss army knife of routers and firewalls, and its now installed on a
small x86 box with a 500mhz K6-2 running at 450mhz, and is the connection
from the DSL modem to my 8 port switch.  Running diskless from a half gig
compact flash card in an adaptor ($3.99) that hangs it on the end of a
normal 80 wire drive cable, getting power from a floppy connector.  I'd
say offhand 300 less watts of electricity since that big honking 38" tall
tower with a 500 mhz K6-3 in it, 2 hard drives, a dvdrom & another bunch
of accessory video & audio cards that I've been using for a firewall for
the last 5 years is now shut down.  The only thing I miss is nscd isn't
running anyplace so dns lookups are now about a 2 second lag because it
has to go all the way to vz's dns servers for everything.  I need to get
that running on this box I guess, ditto the kubuntu box.

Hummm, services says its (nscd) running.

Now I need to get into the psu in that little e-machines box and slow its
fan down & get rid of yet another src of fan noises in here.  This boxes
fans are bad enough, 5 at last count.  But eventually I'm going to
economize this room a bit to save on the AC costs in the summer.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)