Re: DVD playback slow & choppy

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 16:20 -0700, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I just inatalled FC6 on a Pentium 2.2Gz thinkpad with 2G of memory. I
> installed mplayer, the mplayer codecs, xine, kaffeine, etc.  Both Xine and
> Kaffeine play DVD's but the playback is slow & choppy.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help/advice...

Hmm. First thing that comes to mind is the video scaling. Does it play
OK in a window and not full-screened? If so, it's likely that you're
using software scaling (raw X11 output) versus XVideo, which sends the
images to the video hardware and lets the GPU do the scaling (resulting
in vastly smoother playback).

For mplayer, this is the "-vo xv" option (or you can set vo=xv in your
mplayer.conf file to make it permanent). For Totem, this can be set
through the Video tab in the GNOME Multimedia Preferences
(System --> Preferences --> More Preferences --> Multimedia Systems
Selector from the main GNOME menus).

Also, is DMA enabled for your DVD drive? If not, this also causes a lot
of CPU usage too. Check that it is set (and set it if not) by running
`/sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/dvd`  as root (setting the device node as
appropriate).
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479