Re: kwallet vs kmail, will somebody please shoot one of them?

At 3:49 PM -0500 11/18/06, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Saturday 18 November 2006 13:21, Tony Nelson wrote:
>>At 12:28 PM -0500 11/18/06, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>My machine must be chewing the wrong brand of snuff, its an instant
>>> reboot here.  Up2date FC6 install AFAIK.
>>
>>Well, try to find out (as root):
>>
>>    rpm --verifydb
>No probs

Good!

>>    rpm -qa --last | grep fc5| less # and look toward the end for FC5
>>packages
>empty return

FC5 might be capitalized:

    rpm -qa --last | less

is a better way to look at the remaining packages.  Or at least use "grep
-i 'fc5'", though that will miss packages at the bottom that just don't
happen to have FC5 in their names.

>>    package-cleanup --problems # also --leaves --dupes --orphans
>command not found, what package is that in?

I should have mentioned that it is in yum-utils.

>>    rpm -Va
>Got a wagonload of "changed since prelinked" messages, how do we fix that?
>I thought prelink was being run on a regular schedule?

Hmm, well, yes it does, but it may not have been scheduled yet.  Or
possibly RPM is just confused, as if prelink hasn't run since you upgraded
then everything should look un-prelinked.  Or maybe there's a real problem
there that I don't understand.

>>    dmesg | less
>good AFAICT

OK.

>>    less /var/log/messeges
>lots of mewling from selinux, its in permissive mode.  That drowns out
>everything else...

Well, use grep again, something like:

    grep -v '^type=.*msg=' /var/log/messages | less

If you install the audit package the SELinux messages will move to
/var/log/audit/audit.log.  (Actually I only tried that command on my
audit.log, as I have audit installed.)

>>    # create a new user and try from there
>
>I probably should, but thats a lengthy setup, too lengthy for today & I'm
>half asleep having worked a graveyard last night.

Well, OK, but it's just a graphical tool (in Gnome, and surely in KDE);
then log out and back in as the new user.  Fiddle with kmail and kwallet.
If it doesn't crash, try moving .files into the new user until it does.  If
it does crash, it isn't your home directory, so you've eliminated
something.  Either way any bug report you file has been improved.
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>