Re: Dell Dimension 4700

Smith, Herb wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: ron [mailto:macroron@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:12 PM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Dell Dimension 4700

Hello,

Anybody have any problems installing Fedora Core 6 on a Dell Dimension 4700? My brother, a novice who lives far from me, wants to try Linux) I sent him a copy of Linspire. But it does not recognize his sata harddrive. I guess it might be a driver issue. He is about to give up on Linspire. I would like to here of others experiences installing Fedora on a Dell Dimension 4700.

Thank you,

-ron-

Ron,
I have a Dell Dimension 4700 which I have been running FC5 on for some
time with no issues.  I plan an upgrade to FC6 soon and I expect that it
will only be better.  I dual-boot mine with the Windoze XP that came
with the machine so I could maintain access to a few "windoze-only"
applications that I have.  These are finding their way to
open-sourc/linux so I expect I will soon be able to become
MicroSoft-free.

Herb
I have a Dell Dimension 4700 in front of me, not the computer I am using but I just booted it and ran dmidecode to verify the model number. It runs fine on FC6. I bought a second sata drive and installed FC5 on it. Installation was primarily a screw driver operation, it even had a place to mount it. There are good instructions on the Dell site. I bought a drive from Tiger Direct, had to order a cable too.

Last week I upgraded the FC5 to FC6 which went ok, I don't recall any big problems?

But it works well and gkrellm thinks it has two processors!

Bob Goodwin w2bod Zuni, Virginia