Re: UTF-8?

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:46:54 +0800
> Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Without UTF8 that would have been quite impossible.
>
> Oh yes, that's all true, but it is also true that
> programs mysteriously abort and the backtrace
> finds them inside library routines
> with names that imply they have something to do
> with unicode encoding or lang settings processing.
>
> All those aborts stop happening when I eradicate
> UTF-8.
>
> Maybe in another decade or so everything in Linux
> will behave properly, until then, I can do without
> the mysterious segfaults.

I hope you are reporting these problems you are seeing to the developers.
Nothing will get fixed if programmers don't see the error of their ways.

FWIW, I've never had a program abort or segfault based on these settings.
And I've been working in a UTF8 world now for years.

Can you give an example of a program that exhibits this characteristic?  I
would certainly like to try and reproduce the errors.

Ed

--
The purpose of argument is to change the nature of truth.

  -- Bene Gesserit Precept