Re: /dev/video0

Alain PORTAL writes:

Hi,

Le jeudi 16 novembre 2006 03:20, Sam Varshavchik a écrit :

The kernel module is responsible for doing a bunch of things that
eventually results in the creation of a device node.

If you don't get a device node, it usually means that your hardware device
is not supported by the Linux kernel.

Problem is that http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html say that my cam is supported : Logitech 0x046d 0x08c2 QC Orbit/sphere MP

Well, I don't know what "supported" means here. That page does not specify the kernel version what kernel version it uses as a reference. It also indicates that this hardware is supported by the "spca5xx" kernel driver.

I find no kernel module of that name on my FC 6 box. I took a quick grep through the kernel 2.6.18 source, and I find no evidence of the existence of this kernel module. Granted, this wasn't an exhaustive search, but I couldn't find anything.

Furthermore, if you actually bothered to click the "Download" link at the top of that page, you would've discovered that the driver for this hardware is not part of the Linux kernel, but is a separate kernel driver module that needs to be downloaded, and built. That is, normally, a rather delicate task, but you got lucky here. That page contains a broken link to an alleged prebuilt kernel module package for FC4. But, it's fairly easy to figure out that the contents of http://atrpms.net/dist/fc6/gspca/ look to be rather promising for you.

However, rather than randomly downloading some of these rpms, why don't you go to http://atrpms.net, and follow the instructions for adding the atrpms repository to yum, then you should be able to get everything going simply by running "yum install foo", with your only remaining hurdle is to figure out what "foo" should be.

Looks like, at the bare minimum, you should install the "gspcav1" rpm, and the correct "gspcav1-kmdl-<kver>" rpm, that exactly matches the kernel version you're running.