Re: Fedora Coverstory in Linux Format

On 16/11/06, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi folks -

The new issue of Linux Format (a fairly high circulation UK magazine)
has FC6 all over the cover and six pages inside about it, including
interviews.

There's another two pages comparing it to Ubuntu, it seems by someone
who really liked Ubuntu.  FC6 -> 8/10, Ubuntu -> 9/10.

I've just been looking through it in Waterstones (although I
got Linux Magazine for the FC6 DVD in the end).  While I
didn't read the FC6 features, I did look at Fedora vs Ubuntu.
Overall they scored Fedora lower on usability although, as
usual on reading the article, I got the impression that the
stuff you are expected to do on Ubuntu is easier and
anything else is harder.  There were a few of interesting
points, mainly about the install, and all of which sound
slightly familiar:
1. They complained that pirut is yum based and infuriatingly
  slow.
2. Anaconda apparently doesn't allow partitioning of discs
  (?!!!, either something has changed since FC5 or they
   couldn't find the feature, in which case it needs to be
   easier to find doesn't it?)
3. They describe finding out whether FC6 will run on your
  machine as 'suck it and see'.

Overall though I think they come out fairly even in the
article, FC6's lower usability score (by two points,
7/10 vs 9/10 IIRC) is what brought it down overall.

--
imalone