Re: External USB drive disconnecting itself.

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 00:13 -0500, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
> After a few minutes, the drive on the older card disconnected itself,
> once again. I removed the cabled from the card and did some tests on the
> Adaptec connected drive - it never disconnected. Eventually, I connected
> the other drive to the Adaptec card, too and, 'til now, everything still
> works and last night's backup completed successfully. I guess the $12
> card is just not up to the task, but the $25 card is.

Might well depend on on how well it adheres to the specification.  There
was another thread, some time ago, about devices taking power from USB
ports without actually being a USB "device" (such as fans and lights),
and that being against the specs:

Software has to enable more power to the socket.  Just taking it,
regardless, is asking for failures.

There was a change to kernel (I think) behaviour that adhered to the
specs (such devices wouldn't get power), to do with reliability, that
could be customised to behave the broken way.

How this can relate to using external USB disc drives, is when you have
one of those with an extra USB plug just for stealing power.  That idea
is against the USB specs and will be unreliable.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.