Re: External USB drive disconnecting itself.

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
I wonder if the electronics for the interface are powered from the
USB bus? That should not be a problem, unless your card skimped on
the USB power. Do you have the problem if only one drive is plugged in?

Mikkel
I bought an Adaptec dual port USB 2.0 card yesterday and connected one of the two USB drives to it. Then, I told the machine to move some files from the drive connected to the old USB card to the drive connected to the Adaptec card.

After a few minutes, the drive on the older card disconnected itself, once again. I removed the cabled from the card and did some tests on the Adaptec connected drive - it never disconnected. Eventually, I connected the other drive to the Adaptec card, too and, 'til now, everything still works and last night's backup completed successfully. I guess the $12 card is just not up to the task, but the $25 card is.

Thanks for all your help tracking this down!

Chris