Re: Fedora FC6 network install problems with eVGA nForce 680i motherboard

On 11/15/06, David Siu <davidsiu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey guys,

I just got an eVGA 680i motherboard last night and attempted to
install Fedora FC6 on it using the network install option. The problem
is that when it got to detecting my network card, it recognized that I
got 2 network interfaces called MCP55 and when it tries to grab an IP
address using DHCP, it just fails quitely. I tried both interfaces but
to no avail. I can't seem to get FC6 to install on this new chipset.
Now here is the quirky thing... On a long shot, I tried doing the same
thing with FC5 and guess what... It recognized the network card!
Sigh... anyone had any luck with installing FC6 on this board? Any
work around ideas?

Can you clarify what you mean by "it fails quietly"?  How is > the
failure evident?

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org

Specifically, I will see the screen that let's me choose between DHCP,
IPv4, and IPv6. I select all and hit the continue button. A gray box
shows up indicating that it is trying to obtain an IP address.... it
stalls for a few minutes and then it just takes me right back to the
screen that lets me choose between the different options. No error
message or anything. When I hit alt-arrow key to go to a different
terminal  window, I see that it is trying to use obtain an IP address
and everything but it just gives up it seems. I'm not at home so I
can't really say what the messages say exactly though. Any ideas why
FC5 would work but not FC6? Thanks!

David