Re: Burning a backup to DVD-DL

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Gabriel M. Elder wrote:

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 20:35 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Hi Folks,
	I have a backup of my system in an "exustar" .star archive file.  Its
7.5 GB in size.  I want to write this file to a Double Layer DVD+R disk
which claims to be 8.5GB in capacity.  I have tried growisofs, and K3B,
and I can't seem to find the magic incantation which will allow me to do
this:

[SNIP]

Yeah, and I'm so behind reading this email list that I just got to the
discusion of 10/09/06 on the same subject!  Net result of that
discussion was no conclusion either!

OTOH, I've done a *lot* of googling on this and related subjects today,
and there has been good results from people burning DL videos (remember,
each VOB file must be <=1GB in size, so no size limitations there).  Its
the pure data DVDs that have problems.  I guess that explains why
Microsoft puts so many damn .CAB files on their DVDs.  Keeps the
individual file sizes relatively small.

I have come to understand that growisofs will burn a large .iso image
file correctly, you just have to be able to build it (and we're back to
the mkisofs contained file size limitation again).

I think this is a good case to use rar files. You can break the files down and then create redundancy code if you want. I use rar to backup if the files are larger than a single DVD. This allows me to use cheap DVD's.
--
Robin Laing