Re: ...but is nvidia any better?

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 09:32 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I've been having an infinite series of problems with getting my ATI card to
> work correctly with FC6 x86_64, and the pointers I've been able to find
> in places like the Linux driver forum on rage3d.com don't give me warm
> fuzzies that ATI will ever fix anything (nor does the opensource radeon
> driver seem to work any better - it just has different bugs).
>
> So, what is the state of nvidia with respect to Fedora Core 6? Have the
> bugs been worked out? Is DRI and GLX and all that jazz working OK
> now with latest nvidia drivers? Are they compatible with Xen? Is there
> some nvidia equivalent to the rage3d forum I can visit to read all about
> the new trouble I'd get into if I switched cards?
>
> Thanks for any pointers you can provide.

Based on my experience and watching this list, I think you could
accurately sum up the nVidia vs. ATI choice of video cards as a matter
of choosing your poison. I personally run nVidia cards, but have often
considered switching my main system, having used ATI cards with Fedora
on other computers. The main reasons why I haven't switched are that I
have found better pricing on nVidia cards where I tend to shop, and I
have had just as many headaches with ATI drivers on other systems.

As Ben Franklin once said, "There are good men on both sides of the
issue." You can get either to work quite well - particularly if you use
the pre-packaged drivers. I'm using Livna's nVidia packages right now
and just enabled desktop effects. Very cool...

Your mileage may vary of course. In the end, the combo of card and
drivers you use is a matter of choice. That's a good thing.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher A. Williams

Notice: This message and any files transmitted with it are intended
solely for the use of the individuals or entities to whom they are
addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received
this email in error please notify the system manager. Please note that
any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally,
the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
presence of viruses. CAW Holdings, LLC accepts no liability for any