Re: problem unziping large file

matt baker wrote:
> So this is what I did.  I right-clicked on a folder and selected the
> option "create archive".  It created the zip file just fine with no
> errors.  Now I right-click on the zip file and select "Extract Here"
> and it gives me this message.
>
> ----------------
> error:  Zip file too big (greater than 4294959102 bytes)
>  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
>  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
>  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
>  the last disk(s) of this archive.
> unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of
> /home/mlbaker/Desktop/test.zip or
>        /home/mlbaker/Desktop/test.zip.zip, and cannot find
> /home/mlbaker/Desktop/test.zip.ZIP, period.
> ----------------
>
> if I try by command line here it is
>
> ----------------
> [mlbaker@isPgm00 Desktop]$ unzip test.zip
> error:  Zip file too big (greater than 4294959102 bytes)
> Archive:  test.zip
>  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
>  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
>  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
>  the last disk(s) of this archive.
> unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of test.zip or
>        test.zip.zip, and cannot find test.zip.ZIP, period.
> [mlbaker@isPgm00 Desktop]$
> ----------------
>
> I have 200 gigs free, so space is not a problem.  The zip file is 4.3
> gigs.  Unfortunately I could really use some of the data in this
> archive...  Any help is appreciated.
>
> This was done on a FC6 box.

http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/FAQ.html says:

   ... in August 2001, PKWARE released PKZIP 4.50 with support for large
   files and archives via a pair of new header types, "PK\x06\x06" and
   "PK\x06\x07". So far these headers are undocumented, but most of their
   fields are fairly obvious. We don't yet know when Zip and UnZip will
   support this extension to the format.

Looks like both your unzipping programs can't handle these new file
types. You should find that p7zip (which is in extras: yum install p7zip)
works for you. Otherwise you should find that
http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0018.032 (where you can get a 30-day
trial for the official port of PKZip) gets you out of this particular
tight spot.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | In poker you have to show your hand eventually if called.
aprilcottage.co.uk | So far SCO have with great reluctance shown only one