Re: Sun Pours Out Java Cup

On Monday 13 November 2006 19:45, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 18:18 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >
>> >Listen to the next instalment of
>> >
>> >Dick Barton!  Special Agent.   Dum-de-dum-de...
>> >
>> >Sorry, couldn't resist.  That's how every episode ended in my
>> > childhood.
>> >
>> >Anne
>>
>> Yup, just like the old Captain Midnight shows.  Thats what, 65 years
>> ago? Sheesh, there I go again, showing my age. :-]
>
>Strange, today I noted a website while looking for pictures of Mr.
>Muggs, and found Dvd collections of Captain Midnight, My little Margie,
>Amos 'n Andy for fairly large bucks.

Yeah, I'll bet that they've discovered there really is a fool born every
minute.  I heard most of them once, and that was enough. :-)

>I mean who wouldn't want to own their very own Sabre jet to fly out of
>their very own mountain top fortress?

I always dreamed of that, that was one of the sexiest aircraft we ever
built.  But the per hour cost of running one of them precludes it being
anything but a dream.  I also understand it wasn't the most stable one we
built, with the wick turned up it got very hard to control.

>And to pack a revolver?

I already do from time to time, complete with a concealed permit.  I have
one for situations where it should stay out of sight so as to not upset
the natives, and one for show in case I do want to upset the natives, or
for deer hunting.  The show one is an all stainless Ruger Old Army
replica, and at 44 calibre, it does an exellent job of grabbing attention
when the hole is pointed at somebody I need to impress.  But then I live
in West Virginia where the firearms laws are what I would call
enlightened.  Because one never knows who's legally carrying, things are
noticeably more polite, and we have statisticly much lower crime rates
than those places where the populous has been disarmed.  To me, thats a
plus.  Yes, we are generally proud of who we are, and we supply an
inordinate percentage of the military when you compare our small
population to the contributions of many other states and their
populations.

>That was
>kinda overkill when you could just swoop down on your enemies from above
>and blow 'em to smithereens with the nose cannons. But, that was then,
>up close and personal. <cackles> ric

I don't cackle when it comes out, because by that time, the other parties
reason, if they ever had any, has fled.  Thats not an occasion to cackle
over because it can get dead serious in milliseconds.  I do not intend to
be, nor have I ever been, a willing victim.  With that permit comes the
responsibility of correct usage, and there are NO exceptions.

--
Cheers, Gene