OT: How to configure sendmail to use a specific IP address instead of MX record value

Hi folks,
Sorry for the off topic question, but, at least it doesn't have
anything to do with nVidia drivers :-)

Anyway I have a Linux box parked on the inside of a firewall which,
for whatever reason, won't let the box connect to the company's mail
server via its MX record IP address.  I can, however, connect to the
mail server using its internal IP address.  (Verified by telnet
a.b.c.d 25).

Can anybody point me to where I can learn how to configure my Linux
box to use the internal IP address for my company's smtp server
instead of the external IP address?

I tried the obvious fix of the internal IP address for mycompany.com
in /etc/hosts, but that didn't work.

TIA...

--wpd