Re: Pam issues w/ upgrading mail server from FC3 to FC5

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 21:06 -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >>Ok, well, I'm looking at it:
> >>
> >>#%PAM-1.0
> >>auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> >>account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> >>
> >>I'm also seeing the contents of the /usr/share/docs/cyrus-imap-*/
> >>directory that references the link:
> >>
> >>http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/FAQ
> >>
> >>and looking at that link, they talk about RedHat lagging behind
> >>on the PAM release.
> >>
> >>Well, this is more than a bit confusing.  It looks like Cyrus
> >>is the one lagging behind... or at least, whoever set the options
> >>that the Redhat RPM's get packaged with did.
> >>
> >>What *should* Cyrus be using to authenticate?
> >>
> >>This is assuming that I don't want all users having mailboxes to
> >>have entries (accounts) in /etc/passwd...  I can seed their passwords
> >>manually using saslpasswd -f /etc/sasldb2 ...
> >>

> >----
> >It depends upon setting in /etc/imapd.conf
> >
> ># grep sasl /etc/imapd.conf
> >sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> >sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
> >
> >when cyrus uses saslauthd for authentication...
> >
> ># cat /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd
> ># Directory in which to place saslauthd's listening socket, pid file,
> >and so
> ># on.  This directory must already exist.
> >SOCKETDIR=/var/run/saslauthd
> >
> ># Mechanism to use when checking passwords.  Run "saslauthd -v" to get a
> >list
> ># of which mechanism your installation was compiled with the ablity to
> >use.
> >MECH=pam
> >
> ># Additional flags to pass to saslauthd on the command line.  See
> >saslauthd(8)
> ># for the list of accepted flags.
> >FLAGS=
> >
> >make sure that saslauthd service is started...
> >
> >/sbin/service saslauthd status
> >saslauthd (pid 3233 3232 3231 3230 3219) is running...
> >
> >this should pretty much work.
> >
> >Craig
> >

> Yeah, saslauthd is running... the config is unchanged, as above...
> I've created a username with:
>
>     saslpasswd2 -f /etc/sasldb2 -a imap -c username
>
> Oh, did the "chown cyrus.mail /etc/sasldb2" also...
>
> So I can't figure out what else needs to be done...  Still seeing
> those messages.
----
I don't use sasldb but a check of the man page for saslauthd shows...

sasldb     (All platforms)
  Authenticate against the SASL authentication database.  Note that this
is probabally
  not what you want to be using, and is even disabled at compile-time by
default.
  If you want to use sasldb with the SASL library, you probably want to
use the
  pwcheck_method of "auxprop" along with the sasldb auxprop plugin
instead.

Craig