Re: Next problem, maybe hotplug?

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 12 November 2006 07:05, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
> And snipped my original post about 1394 stuffs in general, please don't do
> that as it destroys the context of the thread.
>
>> Look at the boot messages as they go past - I'm pretty sure
>> I remember noticing yesterday a message during boot that
>> hotplug failed to start on my machine. Maybe it is just
>> broken (this was FC6 i686 system).
>
> The only mention of hotplug is this:
> Nov 12 05:59:04 coyote pcscd:
> hotplug_libusb.c:361:HPEstablishUSBNotifications() Hotplug stopped
> and
> Nov 12 06:03:04 coyote kernel: pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version:
> 0.5
> at the last reboot.
>
> And there doesn't seem to be a hotplug entry in /etc/init.d, so I'm a bit
> fruzzled.
>
> 1.  hotplug wasn't something I used in FC2 so I'm not fam with its
> foibles.
>
> 2. /etc/hotplug only has a usb subdir in it, and is otherwise empty except
> for what appears to be a couple of kino related files in the usb subdir.
> And my camera uses firewire, not usb.
>
> 3. I was able to get all that to work early this morning by repeatedly
> modprobing those 3 modules until the errors went away (I expect I had
> them listed in the wrong order on the command line), and then used htop
> to send the udevd a SIGHUP.  Then kino could find the camera and run it.
> but not before.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions please speak up..
>
> Thanks.

In FC5, and most likely in FC6, hotplug is not being used. The
functions of hotplug have been taken over by udev and HAL. I believe
that the reason that /etc/hotplug is still there is that udev does
some checking for old hotplug scripts and uses them.

Before it died, I was doing some work to convert the hotplug code
for my REB110 ebook reader to set the proper permissions so I could
run rebcomm as a normal user. I have a hotplug script that set the
owner of the USB device to the owner of the console. Because it does
not get an entry in /dev, you can not use the normal permission
setting of udev.

Mikkel