Re: strange messages to root, possibly SA related?

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 22:23 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 11 November 2006 19:48, Craig White wrote:
> >On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 19:30 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Greetings;
> >>
> >> My logs now contain megabytes of selinux spew. I've disabled it for
> >> the time being, and have forgotten how one goes about having it
> >> regenerate its 'this is ok' list, can someone refresh me on that?
> >>
> >> Also, I'm getting quite a few mystery emails a day that have virtually
> >> no header at all, and contain just one line:
> >>
> >> Learned tokens from 0 message(s) (13 message(s) examined)
> >>
> >> Is this something that spamassassin is doing by default now?  If so,
> >> can it be shut off?
> >>
> >> I'm also using fetchmail -> procmail as the mail sucking agent.  I
> >> brought those configs over from the FC2 install, where this didn't
> >> occur that I'm aware of.
> >
> >----
> >http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SELinux
> >
> >If your interest in understanding SELinux is merely to silence it, then
> >just shut it off and leave it off.
> >
> Thats not what I intend other than as a short term solution until I can
> get it trained.
----
yeah but this is sort of a problem. Once you disable selinux, you will
have to relabel your entire filesystem if you want to enable it again in
the future...that can take some time  ;-)
----

> >I'm not sure if this will help you but it might (i.e. leave selinux in
> >permissive state)...if you install the 'audit' package, I believe that
> >it diverts the 'spew' as you call it from syslog
> >to /var/log/audit/audit.log
>
> And does logrotate currently handle that, or do I need to run that down
> and add it?
----
It does on RHEL 4 - I don't know about FC-6 but I would think so
----

> Totally OT here, I just discovered I didn't setup a /dos partition,
> formatted vfat.  Unforch, I doubt if LVM2 can handle that, but I'd like
> to confirm I made a booboo there.  Did I?
----
I don't know
----
> This also doesn't address the strange email I mentioned.
----
that sounded to me like something that sa-learn is doing...perhaps you
have some shell script that invokes sa-learn that needs it's output
directed to /dev/null

Craig