Re: MIDI

On Saturday 11 November 2006 16:12, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 11 November 2006 13:16, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Hi Anne. I usually just copy them to my /home/user directory. As long as
> > you have the awesfx package installed, just run sfxload, or asfxload as
> > user, putting the soundfont name after it. In my case see below.
> >
> > sfxload CT4MGM.SF2
> >
> > To check if they are loaded ok you can run.
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1  , changing the card No for yours if
> > it's different.
>
> I'm having no success at all with this.  I do remember that in kmid
> settings I had to try the different midi devices to find the one that
> worked, but so far I haven't got any of them working.  I'm also concerned
> that it is looking at /usr/share/apps/kmid/maps/gm.map, and wonder if this
> should be ringing bells for me, but it isn't :-(
>
> You did remark about getting a gm font - could you amplify, please?  I'm
> not sure what I'm looking for on the hammersound site.
>
> Also, do I have to do anything more to get kmid to recognise the soundfonts
> I do have installed?
>
> Anne

Hi Anne. The only time it would be necessary to DL soundfonts (unless of
course you wanted to try different fonts) is if your using a non Audigy
(emu10k1) card. For non EMU cards which don't have a hardware synth, you'd
need to use Qsynth for example, and DL some soundfont or other, and load it
onto Qsynth, which will then stand in for the missing hardware synth on your
soundcard.  GM=general midi.

Check in alsamixer. The "Synth" slider needs to be up. I think this control
used to be named "Music".

The snd module that needs to be loaded for the synth is.
snd-emu10k1-synth, but IIRC you can't load the soundfont if this isn't
installed, but may be worth checking in /sbin/lsmod.

Nigel.