Re: Enough, already!

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 19:44 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
> >> The nVidia binary blob is explicitly NOT part of the distro, nor is
> >> its use supported by RHAT.  You put things in binary-only because you
> >> want to disempower people from being able to copy it around and modify
> >> it.
> >
> > Um, "disempower" appears to be a coined term, but the use of the prefix
>
> dis·em·pow·er (dĭs'ĕm-pou'ər) pronunciation
>   tr.v., -ered, -er·ing, -ers.
>   To deprive of power or influence.
>
> http://www.answers.com/disempower&r=67
>
> Somebody coined it, but not me.  As I said according to this definition,
> nVidia made a decision to "deprive" recipients of their code "power or
> influence" to modify it and redistribute it.

Are you not capable of comprehension?  I'm just catching the edge of
this but even I heard Mike say very clearly that you cannot be
disempowered of something you never had power over to start with.  I
don't see how you could have missed that, I sure didn't.

You seem to be doing the same thing you did to my posts, which is
cutting his statements out and then acting like you didn't read or
understand them.  The man just said --

> Um, "disempower" appears to be a coined term, but the use of the
> prefix "dis-" means to remove something from a state it is in. You are
> not now, nor have you ever been (I trow) empowered to copy and/or
> modify that software, so you cannot be disempowered to do so.
>
> They simply decline to empower you, which is rather a different thing.

Now that's perfectly good English and besides that he's correct in what
he's saying, so either you're playing a game or you really are slow.
Which is it?

> That is to say one has to deal with the situation one finds oneself in.
>   One has to respect nVidia's IP rights by force of law, but that
> doesn't stop you disrespecting nVidia's decision about where they drew
> the line, nor does it stop you denigrating nVidia or their products,
> which sup Kim has supped deeply from.  Since nothing that I do will
> "cause them to change their minds" they might as well hear my
> unadulterated opinion, hopefully affecting the opinion of others to
> avoid nVidia.  What is your proposal I should have done instead?
>
> -Andy

For starters, since you have already preached to me about this being a
non-distro matter, why are you not having this conversation on an Nvidia
forum board?

LX
--
Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise