This may be of use to some of you

http://www.nixforce.com/2006/11/06/suddenly-fedora-core-6/
excerpt from above
1) config.h? We don’t need no stinking config.h

Yeah, it’s not there. Lots of drivers and tools won’t compile properly even
with kernel-devel installed. Just grab a copy of config.h from a recent
kernel and drop it into /lib/modules/[KERNEL REV]/build/include/linux.

2) System beep is painful, at least on this system.

I’m still unsure as to what’s happening here. I just disabled it.

3) Cisco VPN Client 4.8 won’t build

This is the config.h problem. See above.

4) nVidia drivers won’t build

Yep, config.h problem. See above. The official nVidia drivers are
significantly better than the provided xorg ’nv’ driver. Well worth the
effort. Also, ensure that xorg-x11-server-sdk is installed before installing
the nVidia drivers. I used the x86-1.0-8776 rev without problem.