Re: How to open an application in a remote x session

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 10:23:33AM -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Dan Track wrote:
> > On 11/9/06, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez <manuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Thanks for the reply. Sorry I guess I didn't make myself clear, lets
> > say we have teh following:
> >
> > host1                                 host2
> >
> > I want the user on host2 to ssh to host1, then run say gedit which
> > will opne up on the xdisplay the user has running on host1. Do you
> > know how to do this?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dan
> >
> After you ssh to host1, you will need to ether set DISPLAY. Or you
> will need to use the -display option when you start the program.
>
> export DISPLAY=:0

> or
>
> xterm -display :0 &
>
> This will only work for when you are logged into host1 as the user
> that is logged into X on that machine, or if you have disabled X
> security on host1. (See the xhost command - it has to be run in X on
> host1.)

Ah, no.

If you ssh in to the remote host with the -Y option, all the mucking
with xhosts is moot, and DISPLAY is handled for you. ssh into a remote
box with -Y and run "echo $DISPLAY". You will see that you are getting
a display on the local machine, but it is display number ten (or some
such). That display is tunneled through SSH to your local machine.

Normally X uses a clear protocol, meaning anyone can snoop the
data. Furthermore, security is bad enough in native X without
disabling it entirely. Tunneling X through SSH handles the problem
very nicely. Just use the -Y option:

ssh -Y foo