Re: mplayer, dpms problem

Antonio Olivares wrote:
Dear all,
  I would like to kindly ask for your advice regarding
an issue with mplayer.  I have the Gnome power control
enabled to blank the screen after 2 minutes. Previously, when playing films with mplayer the command $ mplayer dvd:// -alang en -stop-xscreensaver worked till the movie finished. In Fedora Core 5 and the new inclusion of
gnome-screensaver, this also worked.  However, with
Core 6, mplayer plays the movie but dpms kicks in and
blanks the screen.  How can I tell dpms not to kick in
and allow mplayer to play the complete movie without
blanking the screen?

I have tried to use
$ xset -dpms and
$ xset dpms off but
Power Savings kicks in and monitor blanks after 2
minutes.  I do not want to disable power savings on in
Gnome Power Manager.  I want to find a viable
solution. Thank you for your time and advice.

I have had similar issues on FC5 and FC6.

My solution was to remove the gnome-screensaver package and
install the xscreensaver* packages like it was before. I left
gnome-power-manager installed but set it to Never. I used the
settings in xscreensaver properties to set the screensaver
blank time and the power management timeouts. I put
stop-xscreensaver=yes in my mplayer config file and all
worked fine to let mplayer play without blanking.

A little research led me to these links

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2004-October/030261.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=3a3df3f9dadb56551868b5ddbbafcf08&t=189051

which lead me to believe that the controlling settings always
end up coming from xscreensaver properties.

Regards,
Kenny