Re: [Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Kim Lux wrote:
Is it me or do people in this forum have a penchant for knocking
others ?  What the heck does it matter what my Linux skills are ?  Not
that they are lacking !  Did you need to demonstrate your Linux
superiority with your *clever* command line humor ?

The ideal for the list is for helping others to get their systems up and running and exchange ideas a bit. The personality of the list is changing as time goes by. The top posters have moved on or are only posting once in awhile for tough problems that they might be able to help with. I hope the tone of the list doesn't become one of knocking down others because of their perspectives. We all don't think alike, so allowances should be made for allowing others to express their views. If someone does not like some post, don't respond to agitate. The posting will come once from the poster and be a lonely thread with no additional postings. I have many "lone threads" in the archives myself.

The issue here is that I think its time nvidia open sourced their video
drivers to avoid the nonsense that occurs every time one changes kernels ! Why people on a *Linux forum* would oppose that is beyond me ! I'm beginning to understand why outsiders refer to Linux people
as zealots !

Google is working fine for me using Lynx. I am also using a NVidia card since it was the only AGP card that I found among cards that were passed onto me.

Anyway, I am not happy with NVidia keeping the drivers closed but it is their hardware, so why should I worry other than to not buy their products intentionally. If I get one out of cards passed onto me, I'll use it, may attempt to use the binary module, but will eventually try for one that is open sourced. There is one open sourced which is trying to get 3D working. I am currently running a driver for NVidia called "nouveau" instead of the closed source drivers. It does not seem to be too high in performance right now, but it at least is trying to move forward with the ideal of an OSS 3D driver for Linux.

Sorry for the added noise, I got tired of the one posting threads.

Jim

--
The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.
		-- Sagan