/dev/ttySx problems... solved

fredex wrote:

Stan, have you tried using setserial to examine and change the properties
of the serial port?

I hadn't tried it until I saw your message, but I have now. setserial helped me confirm that my ports are active, especially when someone else suggested that I copy a file to the serial port. When the pins started coming alive (yes, a scope still does come in handy), that confirmed that the problem was not in hardware, BIOS, OS, or configuration. One problem was (possibly) that 'yum install' did not give the most up_to_date version of PikDev. When I 'yum removed' the old version and installed a more recent RPM, pin control was fine.
Thanks for the help.

stan