Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On 09Nov2006 12:59, Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Is it me or do people in this forum have a penchant for knocking
| others ?

Of course they do. This is a mailing list!

| The issue here is that I think its time nvidia open sourced their video
| drivers to avoid the nonsense that occurs every time one changes
| kernels !

Well if that's the issue, it's easily fixed by changing how you think.

Seriously, NVidia are under NO obligation to open source their drivers.
It would be nice if they did, but they don't. Many hardware manufacturers
think this way, some because they fear people sould learn something
proprietry that is implied by how they manipulate their hardware, and
some just because they're pigheaded.

| Why people on a *Linux forum* would oppose that is beyond
| me !  I'm beginning to understand why outsiders refer to Linux people as
| zealots !

They don't oppose it. But they think that your world view is
unrealistic. If the current situation is unacceptable, a term you've
used elsewhere in this thread, then either:

  - don't accept it; use the driver that ships with Xorg or abandon
    Linux

  - lobby NVidia in person, and report back when you succeed

Yes it's annoying that things don't work smoothly. But even if NVidiva
opened up their driver it would only narrow the window where you would
have trouble, not close it. As long as Linus and co arbitrarily change
things in kernel releases, drivers will get out of sync. Even the
in-kernel drivers have this problem.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I do not trust thee, Cage from Hell, / The reason why I cannot tell, /
But this I know, and know full well: / I do not trust thee, Cage from Hell.
        - Leigh Ann Hussey, leighann@xxxxxxxxxx, DoD#5913