Re: [Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:59:29 -0700
Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

> The issue here is that I think its time nvidia open sourced their
> video drivers to avoid the nonsense that occurs every time one
> changes kernels !  Why people on a *Linux forum* would oppose
> that is beyond me !  I'm beginning to understand why outsiders
> refer to Linux people as zealots !

And I'm sure (as I've pointed out already) you're aware that may
not be legally possible for them. Which means that someone with
clean hands would have to write a driver that can do 3d
acceleration and support dual head configs and then GPL it.

You seem to have a basic lack of understand with regards to how
these companies manage their software and perform development. It's
not necessarily (although I'm sure it's true in more than one case)
true that a company even wrote the software themselves or perhaps
they only wrote a portion of it and a 3rd party did the rest.
This code may be under NDA which prevents any software engineers
within the company from writing an Open Source solution. The legal aspect would be crippling to the company.

There are many other things to consider as well. But that's the
idea that pops out at me. You seem to have traveled the gamut with
regards to what the real issue is and you're not helping your cause
any by doing so. Just take it down a thou' or somethin'.

Sincerely

--
Alex White
ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx