Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 11:36:02 -0700
Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 13:24 -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> > I'd like to thank Nvidia for wasting another hour of my life
> > this
> > > morning !  I am pretty sure that if it wasn't for Nvidia and
> > > their stupid, idiotic driver system that I could have saved
> > > enough time in the last 2 years to go on a week's vacation !
> >
> > Yeah, those bastards.  Giving you a driver for $0 and forcing
> > you to use it.  Round up a posse to tar and feather them.
>
> Can you imagine if we had to build drivers in this manner for
> EVERY piece of hardware on our computers ?  Should we be
> applauding Nvidia for their approach to Linux OS support ?  I
> think not !
>
> I'd love to know how an admin with 200 PCs with nvidia cards would
> handle this.

It would be very dependent upon what these PC's were doing. Yum
running nightly with a proper config would work just fine. The
binary nvidia driver is for hardware acceleration. If you do not
install the binary nvidia driver as other have pointed out and you
seem to be missing the point on, the nv driver is used by default.
I have an nvidia card 5600 in one box 5700 in another and Fedora as
well as CentOS detected the card and used 'nv' for the driver.

I installed the binary nvidia driver by hand on one box just to see
the 3d effects, but then removed it and went back to nv. There is
absolutely no reason for an average user to install nvidia binary
drivers unless they need hardware acceleration and honestly, if the
average user can not be bothered to learn how to configure their
machine to taste (windows defaults to a set of norms and linux is
no different, if you want to go outside of those norms then you are
not an average user) the brokeness is well deserved.[1]

Nvidia as well as ATI are profit based closed source companies.
They don't necessarily develop all of the software that goes into
driving their hardware and may be under NDA, so opening their
driver source may not be legally possible for them. We all respect
the law do we not?

[1] This is my personal opinion, but I am also a consultant and am
paid to fix silly things that users do not wish to learn on their
own. That is the cost of not learning how to use your computer and
the accompanying software.

--
Alex White
ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx