Re: Apache-Tomcat-Connectors and building mod_jk

Timothy Alberts wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 14:45 -0800, Timothy Alberts wrote:
>> Running FC6 with apache and tomcat just fine.  I'm trying to configure
>> the connectors and it appears that FC6 does not include mod_jk, but
>> rather the deprecated mod_jk2.  So I'm trying to build mod_jk from
>> source.
>>
>> In building the mod_jk from source, I find that I need apxs2 (APache
>> eXtension tool) installed.  Is this available with the FC6 packages or
>> Extras?  I have not found any reference to this yet.
>>
>> Furthermore, I'm curious if Fedora is going to abandon the deprecated
>> mod_jk2 in favor of the supported mod_jk, or if they intend to use
>> something else?
>>

> Well I answered my first question apxs is in httpd-devel package which
> wasn't installed yet on my system.  So if anyone knows some details
> about the mod_jk/mod_jk2/tomcat connectors, I'd like to know.

The easiest answer is that with apache 2.2.3 you do not need it anymore.

What you want to use is the mod_proxy_ajp module.  I've set up a
clustered tomcat on a machine and I load balance between the three
tomcats with just the following configuration.  NOTE that the
communication is with "ajp://"

--BEGIN--
###################
# Cluster vhost   #
###################
# 192.168.89.1

Listen 192.168.89.1:80

<VirtualHost 192.168.89.1:80>
    ServerAdmin bmillett@xxxxxxxxx
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html
    ServerName dufus.barfola.com
    ErrorLog logs/cluster-error_log
    TransferLog logs/cluster-access_log
    ProxyRequests Off
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    ProxyErrorOverride On

    ProxyPassReverse / balancer://cluster/
    ProxyPass / balancer://cluster/ stickysession=jsessionid \
        nofailover=Off

   <Proxy balancer://cluster/>
       Order deny,allow
       Allow from all
       BalancerMember ajp://smeagol:8009 loadfactor=50 route=tomcat-c1
       BalancerMember ajp://smeagol:9009 loadfactor=50 route=tomcat-c2
       BalancerMember ajp://smeagol:10009 loadfactor=50 route=tomcat-c3
  </Proxy>

  <Location /balancer-manager>
     SetHandler balancer-manager
     Order Deny,Allow
     Deny from all
     Allow from localhost
  </Location>

</VirtualHost>
--END--

No workers.properites cruft, just the above.

--
Brian Millett - [ Ivanova and Dr. Franklin (re: Garibaldi), "Points of
Departure"]