Wine & Matlab blues

Hi everybody,

I hope somebody in this list can help me getting Wine & Matlab to work. I installed Matlab
on my Windows partition, but I work mostly (and preferably) in Linux.

My first attempt to use Wine to run Matlab ( 6.5R13) was using a very old version of Wine,
(installed wine-0.9.2-1fc4winehq.i686.rpm) on an FC5 box. As expected, Matlab sort of
worked when invoked using the -nojvm parameter.

I have since tried various (newer) versions of wine (up to 0.9.21, downloaded the rpm from
the fedora's extras repo) and Matlab simply ceased to work. Everytime I tried to run Matlab
it simply freezes (although the Java desktop did show up). Actually it didn't really freeze. It just
seems take ages to do the initialization stuff. This also happens if I invoke the -nojvm parameter.

Then I tried to install a newer version of Matlab (version 7). I followed the procedure described
in appdb.winehq.com (apparently some people was able to get Matlab to work) to the letter.
When I tried to run Matlab, everything seems to work with one exception: I cannot open figures!
(Actually, Matlab seems to be able to open it, but simply refuses to display it). This happens both
with and without the -nojvm parameter.

I am currently running FC6 with Wine 0.9.24 and things are simply getting worse. First of all, I
cannot run wine properly (it cannot properly create the .wine directory). The only way to make
wine to run at all was to sudo it. When Wine does run, I still cannot run Matlab properly (similar
problems as above, except now I simply cannot run Matlab 6.5 without invoking -nojvm).

I am completely lost here. Can anybody help me (or point me to a place where I can find
an answer)?

Thanks,

- Iwan

PS. No, I cannot use Matlab for Linux (can't afford it). No, I cannot use Octave (compatibility
problems, I don't want to check and possibly rewrite the codes I already have)