Re: Two old problems with FC6

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 12:59, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Ok, we are moving forward. The card is not recognised but no sound. I
> > > lied as said I heard it but now two further problems:
> > >
> > > 1. The volume control says when run: No volume control GStreamer
> > > plugins and/or devices  found.
> > >
> > > 2. alsamixer when run says: sound_ctrl_open failed for default : no
> > > such device.
> > >
> > > It is getting curiouser and curiouser out there. Any further advice.
> >
> > Can you post the output of /sbin/lsmod, just to see what has been loaded.
> > Also you could try as root  /usr/sbin/alsactl restore. If there are any
> > mixer settings there, this should get something showing in alsamixer.
> > Post the output of cat /proc/asound/cards  as well, just to see where the
> > card is located.
> >
> > I'm still using FC1,2,3,4,and 5. I've seen so many problems with FC6 that
> > I'm glad I havn't installed it yet.
> >
> > Over to you.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> The alsamixer and volume control are working now. But CD-s will not
> play. The program (gnome-cd in this case) opens, displays the first song
> on the CD but then does not run any further.
>
> So I have progressed.
>
> --
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Aaron. Sorry for all the problems you're having with the sounds. Will you
post the output of /sbin/lsmod | grep snd , just so that we can see if all
the modules that should be installed, are installed. Quite why FC6 isn't
autodetecting the card is a mystery, as since FC4 Alsa seems to have worked
ok, especially with the emu10k1 driver.

Will you try as user on the CLI. /usr/bin/speaker-test  . You should get some
sounds out of the speakers with this.

It may also be worth re-checking alsamixer on the CLI. Check that the switch
"Audigy A" is not muted. Type "M" to toggle it. The 3 main sliders for my
Audigy2 Soundblaster card are. "Master", "PCM", and "Front", but you probably
know this.

Nigel.