Re: problem importing GPG key

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 17:19, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I'm running FC5 and trying to import the GPG key for the freshrpms
> repository. But the command
>
> rpm --import http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt
>
> keeps giving me this error message:
>
> error: http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt: import read
> failed(-1). Segmentation fault
>
> Do I have the command wrong or is there some other problem?
> Thanks for the help!

Hi Gerhard. I have had problems sometimes importing keys directly from the
site. Usually I just DL the key into my /home/user directory, then as root
run, rpm --import <keyname>  changing keyname for the key you have DL'd.

So in the case of FC6, I went to http://zod.freshrpms.net  , then near the top
of the home page is a section "apt yum and others" . I use apt so I clicked
on that, and that takes you to a page where you can DL a package which will
add repos to, in my case /etc/apt/sources.list, and I believe it installs the
key as well. If you just want the key, and want to add the URL's for the
repo's manually, work your way down the page to the section "Configuration
files" . I clicked on "apt build page" , which takes you to a page where you
can DL the key, sources.list, and other stuff. I've just right clicked on the
key, then save link as, then put the key in my /home/user directory. Then as
I've said, su to root on the CLI, and run, rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY.freshrpms
You'll be returned to the prompt if it has installed ok, but if you want to
check, run as user, rpm -q -a --last , and the key should be at the top of
the list.  You will still need to add the the URL for freshrpms to, if your
using Apt, to /etc/apt/sources.list, or if your using Yum,
to /etc/yum.repos.d. If your using Yum it might just be easier to DL the
package for FC6, which is under the heading "Downloads of Yum for Fedora
Core". I think this includes the key, but if you have already imported the
key, it should make little difference.

I've had no problem with freshrpms for FC5 (bordeaux), and there shouldn't be
a problem with FC6 (zod).

Nigel.